About Informed Health and Gesundheitsinformation.de
InformedHealth.org is the English-language version of the German website Gesundheitsinformation.de. By publishing this bilingual website, the Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG, Germany) fulfills part of its legal mandate to educate the public in matters of health. The website addresses both patients and (healthy) consumers by offering a wide range of different topics.
The basic concept for the website www.gesundheitsinformation.de was developed by the members of the department in 2005 under the direction of Hilda Bastian. On February 14, 2006 the German-language website went online for the general public, followed by the launch of the English-language version Informed Health Online, at www.informedhealthonline.org, in May 2006. The site was renamed "Informed Health" in November 2015, with the new address www.informedhealth.org.
Selection of topics
When selecting topics, the editorial staff draws upon various sources:
- The department mainly produces information about a specific catalogue of topics, particularly including common illnesses, diagnoses and health-related issues.
- A further source of topics is the assessments and reports issued by other departments of the institute.
- The department may also be commissioned directly by the Federal Joint Committee or the German Federal Ministry of Health to work on certain topics.
We are always happy to receive suggestions related to topics and articles. Please use the contact form for this purpose.
Draft versions of the articles created by the editorial staff are submitted to different advisory groups, patient representatives and IQWiG’s board of directors for comments. The articles are also tested in advance by users, and their feedback is considered in the further editing stages. The editorial responsibility remains with IQWiG.
Members of the Health Information department
The members of the Health Information department have backgrounds in communication, nursing and social sciences as well as in the field of evidence-based health information and medicine.
- Dr. Klaus Koch (Head of Department and Editor-in-Chief)
- Dr. Andreas Waltering (Deputy Head of Department)
- Roland Büchter
- Dr. Martina Ehrlich
- Bettina Eilmes
- Dennis Fechtelpeter
- Inger Janßen
- Sabine Keller
- Heidemarie Kufner-Rausch
- Yamina Merabet
- Sabine Mooren
- Susanne Müller
- Tina Rhodes
- Thomas J. Swinehart
- Martin Wegmann
- Beate Wiegard
- Regina Will
- Beate Zschorlich
- Julia Gernert (student assistant)
- Helena Lichtmeß (student assistant)
- Elisa Wolff (student assistant)
The members of other IQWiG departments and units are often involved in the development of our health information, for instance by providing medical, scientific or statistical expertise. Gesundheitsinformation.de is therefore to a large extent the product of the entire institute working together. For this reason, no single individual is named as the author of an article.
Last update: November 3rd, 2015